Understanding Sciatica Nerve Pain From Foundation Chiropractic Clinic
Sciatica is a very common ailment seen in many patients who visit chiropractic offices. This is a condition that refers to pain that begins in the lower back or tailbone area and then radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve. This is a major bundle of nerves that branches from the lower back area and passes through the hip, into the buttocks, and down the legs. Typically, sciatica affects only one side of your body but depending on where the nerve is affected pain can radiate down both legs. Although the pain associated with sciatica can be severe, most cases resolve with non-operative treatments and changes in lifestyles and activity levels. Here at Foundation Chiropractic Clinic we specialize in spinal care and are proud to be regarded as one of the best when it comes to finding a chiropractor Toledo residents can count on.
Understanding Common Causes of Sciatica Pain
Sciatica is usually caused by a herniated disk, bone spur pressing on the spine, or narrowing of the spinal column where the nerves pass through. When the nerves are pinched, rubbed, severed or compromised this often causes inflammation, pain and often some numbness. It will usually worsen as the condition progresses and extreme periods of sitting or standing can worsen sciatica pain as well. More rarely, the pinching of the nerve can be caused by a tumor or the sciatic nerves can be damaged by a disease such as diabetes, arthritis, or MS. If you have been suffering for sciatic pain and need help come see why we are the place people turn to for the best chiropractor Toledo has to offer.
Risk Factors That May Require Sciatica Treatment
- Advanced Age. As we age our bodies break down and this includes bones, tissues, and nerves so older individuals are more at risk for developing sciatica issues.
- Obesity. The spine bears all of our body weight day in and day out so when you are overweight that puts a great deal of added pressure on the spine.
- Occupation. If you work at a job that requires a lot of standing, lifting, bending, twisting, or even sitting in certain positions, you could have back problems.
- Chronic Illness. Some conditions such as diabetes and some medications like chemo and radiation can have a devastating effect on bones, muscles, and nerves.
Complications of Sciatic Nerve Damage
Although most people do not need any advanced care of treatment and often get relief from their sciatica by visiting their chiropractor, if left unaddressed, sciatic nerve damage can lead to permanent nerve damage. Seek immediate medical attention and talk to your chiropractor if you have any of these symptoms of severe nerve pain damage complications:
- Total and prolonged loss of feeling in the affected leg or if it happens in both legs
- Weakness in the affected leg that prevents you from standing or walking
- If you experience any loss of bowel or bladder function or control
Contact Us Today For Sciatica Treatment Assistance
Here at Foundation Chiropractic Clinic, we care about each of our clients and we are here to help you as well. Call today for a consultation appointment to deal with your sciatic nerve pain with the best chiropractic care Toledo has to offer!